Sunday, March 14, 2010

TRUE BLUE: BIG PUDDLE 3 AM

Cynthia: Tell me about your partner, Danny.

Dad: Danny Lunt worked in the 103 with a guy named Charlie Baesel, and I was working with another policeman named Richie Murphy, and we got involved in a stolen car chase at two o’clock in the morning down by Springfield Boulevard. and the guy bailed out of the car and starting running and we had him cornered between myself and Danny. So Danny was chasing him towards me and Danny said he was going to drop kick him to stop him, but the guy ducked and Danny drop kicked me. (Laughs) so I figured, before this guy kills me I better become his partner.

Cynthia: I know you and Danny got into a lot of trouble together. Tell me about one of those times.

Dad: (whistles) There’s a lot.

Cynthia: (laughs) Okay, well tell me about the first one that comes to mind.

Dad: Okay, there was a time in the 113 precinct. We were chasing a stolen motorcycle. A motorcycle is pretty tough to chase because they’re maneuverable and they can accelerate so quickly. But it was about three o’clock in the morning and we were chasing him up and down the side streets over by Baisley Park, over by Old Creek Boulevard close to the airport. And we just had a torrential downpour and we had lost sight of the motorcycle, so now we’re scouring the side streets for it and I hit a side street that had a big dip in it, like a valley. It was deep and the bottom of the valley was full of water. Danny said to me, “Don’t chance it. I don’t know how deep it is.” I says, “Well, I have to get to the other side. I think we can catch up to the motorcycle!” So I hit the (laughs) valley where the flood was and it was deep alright, because as soon as I hit it I saw the water come over the hood of the police car. There was a waterline on our windshield and Danny was 6’5” and he hated being embarrassed. It was three o’clock in the morning. Now he’s looking at the side window and cursing at me! There’s a waterline on the side window and the water’s going into the channels of the door, filled up the inside part of the door, and was coming up into the car from the channels through the window. So now the water’s filling up in the car. The car’s stalled. We’re stuck in this giant lake. Big puddle. The water’s actually coming up over the front part of the seats (coughs) and we find ourselves sitting on the headrests bent over. Him being 6’5” and myself being 6’0”…we’re not looking too good at three o’clock in the morning. What we didn’t know was that when you short out a police car it’s wired so that the siren and the dome lights go on automatically. So here we are, three o’clock in the morning, stuck in this puddle, the car’s filling up with water. If we open the doors the water’s just gonna come flooding in. All of a sudden the car shorted out. The dome lights went on and the siren started going WHOOOOOO-WHOOOOOOO. Well, this woke up the whole neighborhood. Everybody started coming out of their houses. There’s people looking at us and Danny is saying to me, “When we get out of this, I am going to kill you!” (Laughs) He said, “Turn the key! Turn the key!” and sure enough it turned the starter motor just enough to turn a flat wheel, and we kinda inched our way out. We got out, we had to get a tow truck, people were just shaking their heads and Danny’s really embarrassed, but you know, sometimes you make a judgment call.

1 comment: