Sunday, May 9, 2010

EAT HER DUST (revised)

We formed a hushed audience to the absurd spectacle in the parking lot of the funeral home where the service for my great Aunt Margie was held. Her sons and daughters, my aunts and uncles, stood in an anxious circle waiting to grip a handful of ashes from the swindled urn. Someone, an uncle I presume, had stolen the small gold box from the altar when no one was looking. Someone else, a logical aunt perhaps, catered the impromptu event with small white conical paper cups from the water cooler. Huddled together, a grieving football team, they shouted and elbowed over her dusty parts. My father whispered, almost completely silently mouthed, all of his words to my mother: This is your family. A freak show! A dozen grieving lunatics scooping their souvenirs like Italian ice. My mother nervously sucked her thumb, a habit carried over from infancy. My eyes expanded like inflated balloons. We would have watched with our jaws dropped, but we feared the swirling ashes. We didn’t want to accidentally eat the remains or be unwillingly spoon-fed by the wind. We just didn’t want to taste her. When my mother removed the finger from her mouth, glistening wet, she took my hand and walked me towards the car. I could feel the warm saliva pressed inside my palm as I counted my steps, a nervous habit carried over into adulthood. I climbed into the backseat and smoothed the skirt of the black crushed velvet dress with a slick palm. The clinging gray flakes (maybe her pancreas, maybe her heart) smeared across me like finger paint. My words were never whispered, never mouthed, and only thought: I've never touched anything so dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment