Sunday, January 3, 2010

GETTING TO KNOW YOU BETTER THROUGH LETTERS



Giving credit where credit is due: I named this blog after Flannery O'Connor's book of letters, bought for me by my best friend. Aside from a really smart title, the front cover is possibly one of my favorite book covers.

Letter writing has always been really important in helping me understand what it is I am trying or need to say. I have books of unsent letters addressed to individuals, groups of people, no one in particular, and myself. I recently started attaching addresses to each letter, in hopes that someday, years and years and years in the future, some of these letters may get to where they need to go. The addresses will probably be different, maybe the addressees will be gone as well, but words traveled and received even after the mouth has been tied shut with suture string will still ring true.

The last sent letter I wrote was devastating. The letter before that was about the future. And the one before that was lost in transit.

But I'm a hell of a pen pal. So, let's write some better letters together.

2 comments:

  1. cynthia- i love your blog!
    a great letter writing book is called "Yours Ever: People and their letters."
    and my fav is always "Letters to a Young Poet," rainer maria rilke.
    -maggie
    www.andthenphotos.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maggie! I've been meaning to read "Letters to a Young Poet" and that second book looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete